Did you know? (MOLD)
While many of us think of mold and cringe because we associate it with bad things such as infections, disease and death, the truth of the matter is that there is a lot of mold in the world that we love to eat and couldn’t live without!
Did you know?
- Cheese is made from mold. Geotrichum candidum to be exact.
- Quorn, a meat substitute primarily sold in the UK, is fusarium venenatum.
- Alexander Fleming, a brilliant Scottish physician, microbiologist and pharmacologist discovered penicillin from a mold called Penicillium Notatum. It was actually the world’s first antibiotic.
- The immunosuppressant drug cyclosporine, used to suppress the rejection of transplanted organs, is derived from the mold Tolypocladium inflatum.
- Several statin cholesterol-lowering drugs are derived from molds.